Have you ever awoke after a night’s sleep and heard birds singing a pleasant song through your open window? So happens, there’s a term for all those birdsongs: the dawn chorus. Birds see the sunrise and, for some reason, decide it’s time to belt out their favorite melody. The songs of these birds, when they’re all singing together, are a beautiful symphony.
Of course, if you have untreated hearing loss, you may not hear the dawn chorus at all. Which is a pity.
There are a lot of incredible sounds during the summer besides birdsongs that you might be missing. And you may be missing those summer sounds because you have hearing loss that’s gone undiagnosed or simply neglected. But you can begin to enjoy all of those amazing summer sounds again with the help of a device like a hearing aid.
You likely think of a really hot sun in a clear blue sky when you think about summer. And then you begin to imagine the summer soundtrack that goes along with this vision. Some sounds you might think about:
- The crashing of waves on the beach (or a babbling brook if you’re in a more landlocked area).
- Something as simple as your grandchildren laughing, maybe as they run about the yard or as you watch a baseball game together.
- The symphony of frogs croaking at night, especially in the early hours of the night.
- Bees buzzing about helping nature bloom by pollinating flowers.
- The sound of birds singing, particularly in the spring during, ahem, mating season. (Humans aren’t the only species to utilize love songs.)
You get the idea. There are a bunch of sounds going on. The feeling and vibe of summer are significantly enhanced by these sounds. And these sounds by themselves bring great joy.
If these sounds of summer (or any sounds of summer) seem different to you these days, it’s likely because a noticeable level of hearing loss has effectively snuck up on you. If you have detected your hearing loss then you need to get some help with it.
Hearing aids can help you enjoy summer
Building connections is what hearing aids are really all about for most. Communication is key. They make it easier to talk to others, to hear what’s going on around you, and to enjoy the sounds that you hear. And that’s especially important at those summer barbecues, for instance.
Modern hearing aids have some incredible technology that will help you savor those summer sounds. Here are some instances of some of that potent technology:
- Machine learning: Cutting-edge algorithms (called machine learning) can help your hearing aids adjust to what you need, even before you need it. This is especially convenient when filtering sounds or in a loud environment.
- Noise reduction: You’ll want to get hearing aids that can differentiate specific sounds (your ears used to do this) so you can appreciate those crashing waves without having the traffic behind you amplified too. Modern hearing aids have substantial noise reduction capabilities, so you can hear what you actually want to hear.
- Bluetooth Connectivity: Out on the boat and want to enjoy some tracks? Just sync the boat’s radio to your hearing aids using Bluetooth.
- Rechargeability: You can recharge your hearing aid while sleeping and get full batteries all through the day. Essentially, you can charge your hearing aids in the same way you charge your cellphone. And when you vacation with your hearing aids, it becomes very hassle free.
- Smartphone compatibility: You can begin to appreciate all kinds of features by connecting your hearing aid to your cellphone. Depending on the specific hearing situation, you will be able to control the settings on your hearing aids using an app you can download on most cell phones.
- Automatic programming: Contemporary hearing aids can automatically adapt to new settings or times of day, depending on how you program them. This makes them simpler to use and more reliable.
You can ask us about how your set of hearing aids are appropriate for your favorite adventures (for instance, you can ask whether you can wear them while you’re swimming or hiking up a mountain, that kind of thing). Hearing aids often don’t get along with water. But in general, your hearing aids will make your summer an all around livelier experience.
Also, asking us basic questions about your hearing aid model will be a good idea. Will your hearing aids have a problem with hot weather, for example? Also, does humidity have any impact on my hearing aid and how can I protect it? Depending on the model of hearing aid, the answer to these questions will vary.
Some loud sounds you may want to avoid
As much as you love the sound of the dawn chorus, there are a few other summer sounds that could actually be harmful to your hearing, so you’ll probably want to stay away from them. These loud sounds are a real hazard! And everyone’s ears are at risk even if they don’t have pre-existing hearing loss. Here are some of those sounds:
- Boat engines: These engines are loud, so use some caution about proximity and duration. Try not to leave the motor idling when you’re fishing. Or, better yet, pop in some earplugs for the entirety of your boat trip.
- Fireworks: Dogs have the right idea. Going to fireworks shows can certainly harm your ears. Likewise, being close to home-launched fireworks can also be damaging to your hearing (and limbs). Best to just stay away from fireworks altogether.
- Live music: Outdoor concerts are a great part of summer, but they can be harmful to your ears. So you might want to exercise some caution and be selective about which shows you attend and wear earplugs.
This is only a partial list. Summer fun for individuals who have hearing loss might not include quite as many of those fireworks and loud noise conditions.
But even with hearing loss you most likely won’t want to stay away from every noisy summer activity. So what can you do? Well, you can use ear protection. For instance, before you go to a concert, put in a set of earplugs so you can reduce a lot of the damage. You just need to make sure you’re using effective ear protection.
Have fun this summer and enjoy the sounds
As the heat of summer gets more oppressive, if you are dealing with hearing loss, the summer sounds may feel like they’re getting further away. And that means you might miss a lot of the season’s joy.
So you might need to come in and see us if you want to make sure you get the most out of your summer. We can help identify the state of your hearing and, if necessary, help decide what kind of hearing aids will be the best choice for you.
So if you want to enjoy the dawn chorus, that’s where you should start. And you’ll also be able to enjoy all of the other awesome summer sounds.
Get the most out of your ears this summer and beyond. Call us for a hearing test and discover if hearing aids are the right choice for you.